A member of Irish rap group Kneecap has appeared in court accused of displaying a Hezbollah flag during a London performance last year.
Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh, 27, who performs under the stage name Mo Chara, stood before Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday. The UK classifies Hezbollah as a banned terrorist organisation.
He denies the charge, claiming the case is “political” and an attempt to silence the group.
Ó hAnnaidh, accompanied by an Irish language interpreter, confirmed his personal details at the start of proceedings before listening to more than three hours of legal arguments. His defence team argued that the case was brought outside the six-month statutory time limit and that prosecutors had failed to secure the Attorney General’s permission before charging him.
Brenda Campbell KC, for the defence, said: “Permission was not in place when police informed Mr Ó hAnnaidh he was to face a terror charge on 21 May.”
Prosecutor Michael Bisgrove countered that authorisation was only required by the time of the first court appearance.
Chief magistrate Paul Goldspring said he would issue a ruling in the coming weeks. The case was adjourned until 26 September, with Ó hAnnaidh remaining on unconditional bail.
Outside court, a large crowd of supporters gathered, waving Palestinian and Irish flags and holding placards reading “Free Mo Chara”. Fellow band members Móglaí Bap (Naoise Ó Cairealláin) and DJ Próvaí (JJ Ó Dochartaigh) attended alongside Kneecap’s manager.
Police had imposed restrictions under the Public Order Act on demonstrations outside the courthouse, designating red and green zones for protests and stages.
In a statement on social media, Kneecap said the police action was aimed at portraying support for the group as “troublesome”, but urged fans to follow instructions.