The government has abandoned plans to delay 30 local council elections in England following legal advice, confirming that all ballots will now go ahead in May 2026.
Local Government Secretary Steve Reed had previously approved postponements until 2027 in areas undergoing major structural reform. The changes are intended to replace the existing two-tier system of district and county councils in parts of England with new single-tier unitary authorities responsible for all local services.
The reversal comes after Reform UK launched a legal challenge in the High Court, arguing the delays were unlawful. The case had been due to be heard on Thursday. The government has agreed to pay Reform’s legal costs relating to the proceedings, which party sources estimate at more than £100,000.
In a letter to council leaders, Mr Reed confirmed the original decision had been withdrawn after the housing minister who was not involved in the initial decision reconsidered the matter urgently. A statement said the housing minister had decided the elections “should proceed in May 2026”.
Originally, 136 local elections were scheduled for May. Of those, 63 councils were eligible to request postponement due to reorganisation, and in January ministers confirmed 30 would be delayed. The affected councils included 15 Labour-controlled authorities, four Conservative-led councils, one Liberal Democrat-led council and 10 under no overall control.
Reform UK and the Liberal Democrats had criticised the postponements, describing them as undemocratic. Reform leader Nigel Farage said the party had “won” its legal challenge. Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey described the reversal as a “humiliating U-turn”.
The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government said providing certainty to councils was now the priority, and confirmed that all local elections will proceed as scheduled.
Ministers also announced an additional £63 million in support for the 21 areas affected by reorganisation to assist with the transition process.