Fresh details have emerged about the fatal assault on Suhail Choudry as a man charged with his murder made his first court appearance.
An inquest into the death of Mr Choudry, 35, briefly opened at Bradford Coroners Court on Friday. The Keighley father-of-two died at Leeds General Infirmary on 11 February, days after he was seriously assaulted in the early hours of 8 February.
A statement read to the court said Mr Choudry was in a silver Toyota Prius with three other men at around 3.05am when two vehicles arrived at speed. Between five and eight men reportedly exited the vehicles armed with weapons.
The court heard that Mr Choudry fled down East Avenue and then Flasby Street while being pursued before being assaulted. Members of the public later found him in a critical condition. A preliminary post-mortem examination concluded he died from blunt force head and facial trauma, with the head injury described as unsurvivable.
Assistant coroner Ian Pears suspended the inquest until 20 August pending the outcome of criminal proceedings and requested further statements.
Murder Charge And Court Appearance
Shortly after the inquest opened, Rashid Hussain, 41, of Redcliffe Street, Keighley, appeared at Bradford & Keighley Magistrates Court.
Hussain is charged with murder, possession of an offensive weapon in a public place, and violent disorder. The court was told the alleged offence took place between 8 and 11 February.
During the brief hearing, Hussain confirmed his name, date of birth and address. His defence lawyer indicated a not guilty plea on his behalf. The case was sent to Bradford Crown Court, with the next hearing scheduled for 23 February.
Police previously confirmed that other men arrested in connection with the incident have been released on bail as enquiries continue.