Israeli forces have intensified bombardments on Gaza City ahead of a planned ground offensive, raising fears of catastrophic consequences for nearly one million Palestinians still living in the territory’s largest urban centre.
Residents reported continuous explosions overnight as Israeli planes and tanks targeted neighbourhoods including Zeitoun, Shejayia and Sabra. In the past 24 hours alone, 64 people were killed and almost 300 wounded, according to the Hamas-run health ministry, which says 62,686 people have died since the war began, with another 157,951 injured.
The Israeli military confirmed its forces had returned to Jabalia refugee camp to demolish buildings, saying the operation aimed to prevent Hamas fighters from regrouping. “The troops’ activity enables the expansion of the fighting to additional areas and prevents Hamas terrorists from returning and operating in these areas,” the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed to conquer the entire Gaza Strip, rejecting partial ceasefire or hostage release deals. Israel has called up 60,000 reservists as part of its latest mobilisation. Defence Minister Yoav Gallant warned Gaza City would be “razed” unless Hamas disarms and frees all captives.
Mediators Qatar and Egypt are pressing for a 60-day truce and the release of around half the hostages, a proposal Hamas has accepted. Israeli officials, however, insist on a full agreement covering all hostages.
The World Health Organization confirmed on Sunday that a staff member detained by the IDF in Gaza since 21 July had been released, though details of his detention remain unclear.
International organisations have issued stark warnings about the humanitarian impact of an assault on Gaza City. The UN says more than 90% of homes in Gaza have been damaged or destroyed, while health, water, sanitation and hygiene systems have collapsed. Aid groups say another mass displacement could be devastating for civilians, many of whom have already fled multiple times.