A gunman dressed in black stormed Annunciation Catholic Church in Minneapolis during a school Mass on Wednesday morning, opening fire with a semi-automatic weapon and killing at least two children.
The attacker, who also used pepper spray in the assault, fired “50 to 100 shots” into the packed pews as students and staff attended the start-of-year service, according to an eyewitness parent. “This is terrible. This is evil. I don’t know how you defend against this,” the parent told The Star Tribune.
Authorities fear up to 20 people may have been shot, though the full number of casualties has not yet been confirmed. Multiple children have been transported to local hospitals, law enforcement sources told KARE.
The gunman was later confirmed dead from what officials described as a self-inflicted wound. Minnesota State Troopers, FBI agents, SWAT officers, and local police remain at the scene alongside paramedics and dozens of ambulances.
The shooting began around 8:30 a.m. local time, as Annunciation Catholic School students who had just started classes earlier this week were attending Mass.
The City of Minneapolis urged the public to avoid W. 54th Street between Lyndale and Nicollet Avenue, stating: “There is no active threat to the community at this time. The shooter is contained.” A reunification zone has been established nearby so that parents can be reconnected with their children.
President Donald Trump has been briefed on the tragedy, with the White House saying it will “continue to monitor this terrible situation.” Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and State Patrol were on site, adding: “I’m praying for our kids and teachers whose first week of school was marred by this horrific act of violence.”
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey called the incident “horrific violence in South Minneapolis” and said the city’s emergency response team has been fully activated.
The motive for the attack remains unclear as investigators begin piecing together events from what is already being described as one of the worst mass shootings in Minnesota’s recent history.