BPI News
  • Home
  • Britain
  • World
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Pakistan
  • Editorial
BPI News
LOGIN / REGISTER SUBSCRIBE
Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • Home
  • Britain
  • World
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Pakistan
  • Editorial
BPI News
BPI News
  • Home
  • Britain
  • World
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Pakistan
  • Editorial
World

Trump Says US–Iran Deal ‘Largely Negotiated’ As Pakistan-Led Peace Push Nears Final Stage

by Feroz Khan May 23, 2026
written by Feroz Khan May 23, 2026
stuartmiles99 from Getty Images
5

ISLAMABAD — US President Donald Trump has said a deal between the United States and Iran has been “largely negotiated”, with final details now being discussed, in a major development after days of Pakistan-led mediation and regional diplomacy.

Trump said he had held what he described as a “very good call” with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Türkiye, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain, alongside a separate call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The US president said the discussions concerned the Islamic Republic of Iran and a Memorandum of Understanding “pertaining to peace”. He added that an agreement had been “largely negotiated”, subject to finalisation between the United States, Iran and other countries involved.

“In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” Trump said.

The statement confirms much of what BPI News had previously reported: that Pakistan, backed by regional states, has been working to move Washington and Tehran towards a framework agreement designed to stop the war, reopen the Strait of Hormuz and create space for a follow-on nuclear negotiation.

AP reported that Trump said a deal with Iran, including reopening the Strait of Hormuz, had been “largely negotiated” after calls with Israel and regional allies. Reuters earlier reported that the United States and Iran were closing in on a one-page memorandum to end the war, citing a Pakistani source involved in the peace efforts.

BPI Sources Say Draft Includes End Of War And Hormuz Reopening

Pakistani security sources familiar with the negotiations told BPI News that the draft proposal expected to be finalised includes an end to the war on all fronts, including Lebanon, the freeing of several billion dollars in blocked Iranian funds, the lifting of the US naval blockade and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

The sources said the draft also includes the withdrawal of American forces from the immediate vicinity of Iran.

After that, the parties would have 30 days to agree on the nuclear issue. Sources told BPI News that the 30-day period could be extended by mutual agreement, while passage through the Strait of Hormuz would be facilitated during that window.

According to the Iranian position communicated through mediation channels, management of the Strait of Hormuz would be treated as an Iranian-Omani issue, with discussions involving Muscat continuing separately.

That point is significant because Oman has long played a quiet mediation role in US–Iran diplomacy, while Muscat’s proximity to the Strait gives it a direct stake in any future security mechanism.

Pakistan’s Role Moves To The Centre

Trump’s public reference to Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir Ahmed Shah of Pakistan places Islamabad’s mediation role directly at the centre of the latest diplomatic movement.

Pakistani security sources with knowledge of the negotiations told BPI News that Pakistan has been working to keep both sides inside a diplomatic framework despite repeated breakdown risks over the US naval blockade, Iran’s control of Hormuz, frozen assets and the sequencing of any nuclear concessions.

One Pakistani source familiar with the process told BPI News that the latest Trump statement reflects “the point Pakistan had been trying to reach” a political declaration first, followed by a defined period for technical negotiations.

The source said the key achievement would be preventing the military track from returning before the nuclear file is addressed in detail.

Agreement Leaves Nuclear Dispute For Later Phase

The emerging framework appears to separate the immediate end of the war from the wider nuclear dispute.

That has been a central Iranian demand. Tehran has resisted making irreversible nuclear concessions while under military pressure, while Washington has sought a deal that would eventually limit Iran’s nuclear programme and address enriched uranium.

Reuters and Axios previously reported that the proposed one-page memorandum would open a 30-day period for more detailed negotiations on Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief and transit through the Strait of Hormuz.

Sources told BPI News that the structure now being discussed would allow both sides to claim a partial win: Washington could say it has opened a route to nuclear negotiations, while Tehran could say it secured an end to the war, the lifting of the blockade and the reopening of Hormuz before entering the next phase.

Regional Anchoring Gives Deal Political Protection

Trump’s decision to list multiple regional leaders is also important.

By naming Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, Pakistan, Türkiye, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain, the US president appears to be presenting the agreement as a regionally anchored peace framework rather than a narrow bilateral deal with Tehran.

That matters in Washington, where any agreement with Iran is likely to face criticism from hawkish Republicans, pro-Israel voices and those opposed to sanctions relief.

It also matters in Tehran. Trump’s use of the phrase “Islamic Republic of Iran” will be noticed because it signals recognition of the Iranian state structure at a moment when regime-change speculation has formed part of the wider information war.

The separate Netanyahu call is also significant. Trump said the call with Israel’s prime minister “went very well”, but gave no detail on Israel’s position. That absence of detail leaves open questions over whether Israel has fully accepted the framework or simply agreed not to obstruct the announcement at this stage.

BPI News Had Reported Momentum Behind A Deal

The latest development follows days of security and diplomatic signals in Islamabad that pointed towards a serious negotiating track.

BPI News previously reported that Pakistani sources familiar with the negotiations and security arrangements expected talks to move forward despite mixed public signals from Tehran and Washington.

Those sources pointed to the wider security posture in Islamabad, the movement of foreign delegations, the role of Pakistan’s military leadership and the continued engagement of regional states as indicators that mediation had not collapsed.

The latest Trump statement now appears to confirm that those efforts were not symbolic. The process has moved from shuttle diplomacy and indirect messaging towards a publicly acknowledged framework that the US president says is close to being finalised.

Still Not A Final Deal

Despite Trump’s language, the agreement is not yet final.

The most difficult issues remain the nuclear file, guarantees against renewed war, the future of enriched uranium, sanctions relief, Hormuz security arrangements and Israel’s freedom of action.

Iran is likely to seek guarantees that the agreement will not simply pause the war before another round of strikes. The United States will want mechanisms that prevent Iran from using the 30-day period to preserve leverage without making nuclear concessions.

That is why the next phase may be more difficult than the announcement itself.

For now, however, Trump’s statement marks the clearest public signal yet that the US–Iran war could be moving towards a formal pause, with Pakistan playing a central role in shaping the diplomatic exit.

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube Tiktok

Recent Posts

  • Quetta Train Blast Death Toll Rises As BLA Claims Suicide Attack Near Chaman Phatak

  • Trump Says US–Iran Deal ‘Largely Negotiated’ As Pakistan-Led Peace Push Nears Final Stage

  • Reuters Iran Uranium Report Faces Scrutiny as Talks Reach Sensitive Stage

  • Asim Munir Tehran Visit Seen As Final Chance To Prevent War Resuming

  • Teacher Denies Murdering And Sexually Abusing Baby He Was Adopting

About Us

At British Pakistani Index, we are committed to bringing our readers up-to-the-minute news, insightful analysis, and comprehensive coverage of events shaping Pakistan and the world. Founded in 2020 by a group of seasoned journalists and media professionals, our mission is to inform, educate, and inspire the community we serve.

Facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Instagram

Quetta Train Blast Death Toll Rises As BLA Claims Suicide Attack Near Chaman Phatak

May 24, 2026

Recent Articles

Trump Says US–Iran Deal ‘Largely Negotiated’ As Pakistan-Led Peace Push Nears Final Stage
May 23, 2026
Reuters Iran Uranium Report Faces Scrutiny as Talks Reach Sensitive Stage
May 21, 2026
Asim Munir Tehran Visit Seen As Final Chance To Prevent War Resuming
May 21, 2026

Featured

Quetta Train Blast Death Toll Rises As BLA Claims Suicide Attack Near Chaman Phatak
May 24, 2026
Trump Says US–Iran Deal ‘Largely Negotiated’ As Pakistan-Led Peace Push Nears Final Stage
May 23, 2026
Reuters Iran Uranium Report Faces Scrutiny as Talks Reach Sensitive Stage
May 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Newsletter
BPI News
  • Home
  • Britain
  • World
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Pakistan
  • Editorial